Monday, May 14, 2018

Review: Eagles in the Storm by Ben Kane

Title: Eagles in the Storm
Author: Ben Kane
Series: Eagles of Rome #3
Publication: March 23rd 2017 by Preface Publishing

Genre: Historical Fiction
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | Google Play | Kobo
Rating: 5/5

Arminius has been defeated, one of the three eagles has been recovered, and thousands of German tribesmen slain.

Yet these successes aren’t nearly enough for senior centurion Lucius Tullus. Not until Arminius is dead, his old legion’s eagle liberated and the enemy tribes completely vanquished will he rest.

But Arminius is still at large, devious, fearless and burning for revenge of his own. Charismatic as ever, he raises another large tribal army, which will harry the Romans the length and breadth of the land.

Into this cauldron of bloodshed, danger and treachery, Tullus must go - alone. His mission – to find and bring back his legion’s eagle – will place him in more danger than he has ever faced before.

Can he succeed? Can he even survive?

It's not often that I rate a trilogy with five stars for all three books, but with Ben Kane's Eagles of Rome trilogy I did it and it's so well deserved!

Eagles in the Storm was a fantastic conclusion. I could barely put the book down, it was so thrilling and as always well-written. It was also heart-wrenching at times I must say.

The story returns with its great cast of characters like Tullus, Armenis, Maelo, Piso and several others.Tullus is still holding hope after so many years to find the lost eagle of the 18th and revenge on Arminius. Meanwhile Arminius is desperate to lead his people and the other tribes into battle against the Romans.

The book had its fair share of battles. It was all very action-packed and as always really brutal. The author's way of writing not only the battle scenes but every other detail made me feel as if I was actually there. I also can't help but praise the subtle humor as well.

The story was amazing and I thought the ending was pretty much perfect but some characters' deaths basically punched me in the gut. The unexpectedness of that made it even a more powerful ending of my one of my favorite trilogies.

Author bio: Ben Kane is a bestselling Roman author and former veterinarian. He was born in Kenya and grew up in Ireland (where his parents are from). He has traveled widely and is a lifelong student of military history in general, and Roman history in particular. He lives in North Somerset, England, with his family. Read his full bio here.
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

10 comments:

  1. Woohoo, 5 start for all 3 books is impressive :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's great that all three were so good. Definitely peaks my interest more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I couldn't even pick one that I thought was the best. They were all equally good.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean! It's so rare that I rate a series 5 stars all the way through. But it just goes to show how great it is. And I love a good battle, or two, or more :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so fantastic that you enjoyed the entire series right up to the end! It sounds like it is a thrilling read. I love battle scenes in books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 5 stars for all three books says a whole lot about ‘tis trilogy. I think it does sound really great too! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥